Joining Filters

Author
Email User
Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I wonder if you can help.  What I’m wanting to do is filter out everything in the log files except for rows containing these items

$Item1
$Item2
$Item3

This would greatly simplify our pin pointing of issues, as I’m only interested in the 4 rows in sequence and the timestamps associated with them.

Thanks.

Edited 5 Years Ago by Email User
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi,

LogViewPlus should be able to handle the scenario below by merging the filters. What you need to do is create three separate filters:
$Item1
$Item2
$Item3

Next, drag and drop each filter to create one ‘master’ OR filter. Once this is done, the original filters can be deleted. The process for doing this is shown here:
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/merge_filters.html

Once you have created your OR filter, it is probably worth saving this as a template so it can be easily applied in the future:
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/save_and_share_filters.html

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Thanks,

Toby

Email User
Email User
Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)

Thanks Toby, I couldn’t get the CTRL drag and drop happening but ended up doing a RegEx and it worked likea charm. Thanks!!

Edited 5 Years Ago by Email User
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Glad to hear you got it working.

Thinking about it, I agree that the CTRL drag is not very intuitive. I will have a think about how this can be improved for the next release. I think the existing "merge file" command could be overloaded based on item selection.

Thanks,

Toby

pemessier
pemessier
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
I have hard time to do this as well. The example in the video works well (with levels). However, in my case try to combine text filters and for some reason the new filter returns nothing.

1) I create a text filter with "pattern 1" in the "Message" source. Selecting the filter shows the results as expected.
2) I create a text filter with "pattern 2" in the "Message" source. Selecting the filter shows the results as expected.
3) I drag and drop Pattern2 on Pattern1. This creates a filter named " 'pattern 1' in Message OR 'pattern 2' in Message". Selecting this filter returns nothing.

Selecting "Using original log entry" however works.

Control drag doesn't seems to work on my side as well (v2.3.1.0 evaluation). I am getting the following error while ctrl+drag a text filter over a level filter (like in the video):

"Invalid Template
The template you are trying to apply appears to be invalid. This is possibly due to an issue with a custom extension."

Suggestion :
- Dragging the filter could open a popup with 'AND' and 'OR' choices to make this more intuitive
- It would be nice to edit the filter after creation, like the invert option. That way you could easily flip an 'OR' for a 'AND' for example.

Thanks!
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks for the feedback.

I can confirm that the first issue is a bug.  We will get the "joining message text" filters issue fixed for the next release. 

I am having trouble recreating the "Invalid Template" issue.  Is there anything more you can tell me about these filters?  What may help is if you copy the filters individually and post them on this forum.  That should let me recreate the issue more easily.  

You can create an 'AND' filter in one of two ways.  First, you can use CTRL+Drag Drop.  This will create a child parent relationship.  The Child in this case is effectively an AND operation with the parent.  Second, you can use CTRL+SHIFT+Drag Drop.  This will create a single filter with an explicit 'AND' join.  Similar to how the OR operations work.

It is not currently possible to edit joined filters beyond simple include / exclude operations.  I think it is a good idea to allow people to more intuitively build and edit filter relationships (joining filters with complex AND / OR operations).  I will add this to our enhancements list.

Thanks for reporting these issues!

Toby
pemessier
pemessier
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
I just upgraded to the latest version (2.3.2.0) and I don't have this issue anymore! Thanks
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks for letting me know.  It makes sense that this was broken then fixed in v2.3.2.  The CTRL+SHIFT+Drag Drop operations are new in this release so there have been changes to this code.

I will post back to this forum when I have made progress on the other two issues you have raised.

Thanks again,

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Pemessier,

I just wanted to let you know that we have fixed the issue with merging column search filters in our latest BETA release - v2.3.6.

Thanks for reporting this issue! 

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...