What should happen when the log file is deleted and restarted?

Author
Mark Sunnucks
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Not sure if this is a bug report, feature request or me not being sure what should happen.
In my situation, the log file is being monitored just fine.  Then the application which generates the log file stops.  When the application restarts, the existing log file is deleted and a new one recreated.
I think I want Log Viewer keeps the old lines on the screen and starts to tail the new ones.  What I want to happen is for it to reload and lose from the screen all the log messages that are no longer in the file.  Does that make sense?
Maybe I can already do this and just can't see the option.  It's not a big deal, I can click the "reload file" button myself though.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Mark,

The expected behaviour here is that the existing log lines are kept and new log lines are added as they are written.  The behaviour you are suggesting makes complete sense, but is unfortunately unsupported at the moment.  I will look into adding a configuration setting for this into the next release.  Thanks for the suggestion!

In the meantime, I recommend you use a session when starting and stopping your application   This has the advantage of keeping a history of your application runs.
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/use_a_session.html

Hope that helps,

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Mark,

I just wanted to let you know that I have added the configuration setting mentioned above to the latest BETA version of LogViewPlus - v2.3.4.  The new setting is available under the 'Tail & Scroll' settings.  The setting works by refreshing the log file when a log file roll (or re-creation) is detected.

Thanks again for the suggestion!  Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...