Sorting of merged log files

Author
AndreasP
I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Toby,

I usually work by opening multiple log files by drag and drop and merging them.
In the past the merged log files always were automatically sorted by date/time.
But now I experience problems with the sorting. The merged log files are not sorted anymore automatically.
Can you comment on what's the expected behavior or if the behavior has been changed in the latest release?

Thanks and Regards
Andreas
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Andreas,

I would expect merged files to be sorted.  However, for performance reasons, we do not re-sort log entries after they are loaded. 

For static log files, this shouldn't be a problem.  However, if you are tailing multiple files and those files have timestamps that are significantly out of sync you may notice sorting inconsistencies.  Imagine a merged log file with a million records over the past hour.  What do you do with a brand new record with a timestamp from 30 minutes ago?  LogViewPlus identifies this as a 'new' log entry and writes it to the bottom of the view.

We could sort the record into the view, but this would have a noticeable performance impact and - worse - you might never know that the new record was written.  It would be lost in the sort.

Could this be what you are experiencing?

As a work-around, if you need the records sorted you can always sort the grid manually.

Hope that helps,

Toby

AndreasP
AndreasP
I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)
Hi Toby,

99% of the time I work with static log files (copied from the target system to my machine). Also in this case.
The log files were from a few days ago.

Regards
Andreas
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Can you give me more detail on what the sorting problem looks like and how you are parsing the files?  Maybe the date parse isn't accurate enough for the sort to work effectively?

Thanks,

Toby
AndreasP
AndreasP
I use a simple pattern parser.
%d{yyyy-MM-dd_HH:mm:ss_fff}_%t %6p: [%c] %m%n

In the current case I get for the merged log entries:
- From 14.05. ... 18.05
- Then message from 14.05. ... 15.05.

That jump from 18.05 to 14.05. is what's puzzling me.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Can you send me an example of that this "%d{yyyy-MM-dd_HH:mm:ss_fff}_%t" looks like in your log file?  You are merging two static log files in this case?

Possibly, there is some kind of timezone problem?
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Andreas,

I have now been able to recreate this issue.  It seems specific to drag and drop.  I will need to take a closer look, but I am sure we can have a fix in for the next release.

Thanks for your help identifying this issue!

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Andreas,

I just wanted to let you know that we have now released LogViewPlus v2.4.31 into BETA. This version includes a fix for the drag / drop / merge issue discussed above. You can download it from: https://www.logviewplus.com/download.html

Thanks again for bringing this problem to my attention.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...