Directory Monitoring with Alerts

Author
belias
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I have a device that creates a new text log file each day at 00:00 and I need to alert off of these log files.  I believe I have correctly configured the directory monitoring, the parsing, and the alert but the alert only works for the day that I configure it.  Once a new log file is created at 00:00, the new log shows in the list on the left (and it's parsed) but the alert is not applied to it.

How can I apply the alert to the new log files?

Thanks.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Belias,

I believe the problem here is that the alert does not exist at the time the log file is created / parsed. 

Directory Monitors have a limitation in that they do not persist filters (or alerts) when saved as part of a workspace.  The latest beta version of LogViewPlus introduces the concept of a 'directory manifest' which addresses this issue.  This feature is still under development, but I can post back here when it is ready for release.

Note that directory manifests require the file name to be known in advance.  It is not currently possible to alert when a new, previously unknown file is created.  For example, this not be possible for file names with date patterns.

Hope that helps,

Toby 
Edited 4 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Hi Belias,

I just wanted to let you know that this issue has been resolved in the latest BETA release - v2.5.7.

Directory Monitors are now be saved with a manifest which contains information about how the files should be processed.  Information like Filters and Notifications can be saved and restored provided the target file name has not changed.  Dynamic files like merge files are also still out of scope.  We will aim to address dynamic files in a future release.

Hope that helps.  Thanks for bringing this problem to our attention,

Toby
Brad Konia
Brad Konia
I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks for connecting the dots Brad.  Yes - the lack of support for templates in merge files is part of the problem we are discussing on the other thread.  However, that thread is also discussing an issue with notifications when opening a file.

There is a clear need here for templates on merge files.  It is something we will take a look at for the next release.

Thanks again,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...