Most Screens Are Incorrectly Sized On Initial Opening

Author
kstulce
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm a new user of LVP, working through the trial version, but planning to purchase, and found a few things that are odd about the screen sizes on certain windows.  For instance, in "Settings">"Parser Settings", I had a warning pop-up box appear when testing a parser configuration, but I couldn't read the entire message, as the pop-up window is not correctly sized and doesn't allow for resizing.  Most of the other pop-up windows or screens allow for resizing, which will let me resize to see any particular buttons for the window that may be available, or to see the entire text of the window.  Attached are a few screenshots to illustrate.

In case it helps, I'm currently using v2.2.16 on Windows 10.0.17134 (Enterprise).

Just thought I would mention these findings to help improve the application.  Outside of these issues, I'm still working to get familiar with LVP features, but I like what I'm seeing so far.  Also, I must give a bit of praise on the abundance of documentation and videos.  These are VERY helpful when getting to learn a new product.  Thank you.

Best Regards,
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Wow - those are some pretty awful looking screenshots!  Thanks for bringing this problem to my attention.

This looks like a problem with high DPI settings in windows.  However, I just tested with a DPI of 175% and was not able to recreate these issues.  Is there anything more you can tell me about your display settings?  In particular your Windows scaling settings (discussed here).

I am glad you are finding our documentation useful.  One of our big obstacles to user adoption is getting people over the learning curve.  For a lot of people LogViewPlus is a new way of working with log files, so we have tried to make things as easy as we can.  We are always looking for ways to improve, so please do let me know if you find any gaps.

Thanks,

Toby
kstulce
kstulce
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Hi Toby,

Thank you for your reply.  I gathered a couple of screenshots from my Display Settings.  I'm technically using three monitors (laptop monitor and two desktop monitors) on a dock, but only the laptop monitor is using scaling (150%).  Below are some System screenshots that I gathered to show the settings.

Actually, everything is working fine now.  I made some resolutions changes, saved, and then changed them back and that seemed to do the trick.  Weird, but it worked.  Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  Smile

Best Regards,

--Ken
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Thanks for the update Ken - glad to hear you got it working.

LogViewPlus sets all DPI related display settings at startup.  In this case, it sounds like the display settings may have been changed after LogViewPlus was started.  The issue could then be resolved by changing the windows settings back to the baseline or restarting LogViewPlus.  

Ideally, LogViewPlus should adapt to these changes automatically.  This is something we can look into.

Thanks,

Toby
cdev
cdev
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Screen scaling still looks off to me.  Relative placement of controls etc.  is correct, but I still have fuzzy scaling of text that is typically associated with dpi scaling. 
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi CDev,

This is an old forum post discussing an earlier version of LogViewPlus.  We have updated our DPI approach.  Currently, we are using a kind of 'calculated' scaling which maintains relative positioning, but does not take full advantage of your screen's capability.  This can lead to a kind of 'fuzziness' in the application which is difficult to capture in a screenshot.

We will be revising our DPI approach this year to provide a much sharper application.  I imagine we will have something available in August which addresses this issue.

Hope that helps,

Toby
Edited 3 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
High DPI support has now been added to the latest LogViewPlus release - v2.5.32.  This should resolve the 'fuzzy text' issue.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...