Alarm if something does not happen

Author
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear the issue appears unrelated to LogViewPlus.

I would suggest that it may not a Windows issue, but an issue with how the target application is writing log files.  There may be some kind of caching involved.  If so, you could look for a 'flush logging' option.  That is just a blind guess though, I don't know anything about the target application.
zearla55
zearla55
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have now monitored the logs again with Notepad++ via tail. Even there, entries are not displayed at all or only with a long delay when they change.

Obviously Windows only writes the log file from time to time and keeps the rest (until it is written) in some cache.

Thanks for your help, I think the problem is not with LogViewPlus but with Windows
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)
To see the file size change in explorer, you will need to refresh (F5).

LogViewPlus monitors the file size.  If the size is changing, you should see some activity in LogViewPlus.   I just tested and this feature appears to be working.  You are the first customer to highlight this issue.

If you look at the statistics view, are there any changes?  Maybe the file is being tailed, but auto-scroll is disabled?  Have you tried tailing the file in another program, or from the command line?

zearla55
zearla55
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Yes, tail is enabled and I also checked the settings.

But when i watch the file in file explorer I see that the KB size does not increase. Apparently the explorer does not update the file size in real time.
In the file itself, however, several (albeit few lines) logs are written per minute

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Is tail enabled?  There are also application settings for tail which may be worth reviewing.

If you monitor the file in explorer, does the file size grow over time?
zearla55
zearla55
I apologize for my very belated reply

Basically, your built-in function works! I was able to test this successfully with other logs and the Windows events.

But I now have another or further problem with the SMTP logs (they are plain text files in a directory). When I open them and monitor them via Tail, new entries are not shown in LogViwPlus. It seems like there is simply no change being observed.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to configure something else? Or can I set a periodic reload of the file if LogViewPlus does not notice the changes by itself?

zearla55
zearla55
Thank you!

I'll try the Beta version

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
The change is now available in the latest BETA release

Hope that helps,

Toby
zearla55
zearla55
To be honest, I can't say whether that would work. But it certainly sounds good

I don't want to stress you out, but do you know when this function might come?
I'm currently still in the test version and this feature would actually be the deciding factor in whether I would buy or not.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
I can add a "do not require initial event" flag to the next version of LogViewPlus:

This will set the event to an initial state of primed, so the activity will fire after the timer expires.  If the file is reloaded, the timer will be reset.

Would that help?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...