Parser detection based on content instead of logfilename

Author
MatthiasB
Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
At the moment a parser is only automatically been detected by the filename. It would be nice if this can be extended to detect the parser based on the content.

There can be 2 options:
1) the logfile contains a specific keyword which can be used to identify it
2) the logfile structure fits to the parser configuration and therefore will be selected. In case that multiple parser could fit a popup with dropdown is shown to select the right parser.

Best regards,
Matthias
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Matthias,

Having multiple methods of automatically detecting how a file should be parsed is tricky.  Each method will add additional complexity which will need to be "processed" by new users - even if they don't use the functionality.  For this reason, we try to keep things simple.  I am not against adding additional detection methods, but it needs to be simple and add value to a wider audience.  

Have you noticed the 'Parse With" settings when opening a file?  Does this help?
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/open_file_settings.html

Thanks,

Toby

MatthiasB
MatthiasB
Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)Junior Member (94 reputation)
Hi Toby,

thanks for the fast response and I can understand to keep the software as simple as possible. :-)
The option "Parse With" is what I currently use but dragn'drop is always easier than clicking the "Open" button.

Maybe would it be possible to make if configurable that when you drag'n drop a file on the software and no parser is detected this "Open window" is displayed? Then the parser can be changed manually and no autodetection is used. In case a parser is detected then the parser will be used and no popup is shown.

Best regards,
Matthias
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Maybe the drag-drop operation should open a scaled down "Open" dialog whenever the user tries to open new files in this way.  I think I would prefer to do this with the help of a short-cut key by default (CTRL+DROP) for example.  However, this could be configurable in application settings to make it the default.

The same dialog could be shown when a user tries to open a files via the OS.  For example, by double-clicking on a *.log file.

Would this help?

Thanks,

Toby
MatthiasB
MatthiasB
Hi Toby,

that would be very helpful! :-)
Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Matthias
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Great - I will take a look and see what we can do for the next release.  I will post back here when we have a BETA version available.

Thanks Matthias!

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Matthias,

I just wanted to let you know that we have just released LogViewPlus 2.4.45 into BETA.  This version of LogViewPlus has a new "Quick Open" feature.  If you hold down the CTRL key when dragging and dropping files into LogViewPlus, you get 'Quick Open' menu:

The Quick Open menu has some basic settings, like parser configuration, merging, and the open action.

Hope that helps.  Thanks again for the feedback!

Toby

Colin Foster
Colin Foster
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Can you add this feature to ctrl-clicking a file in the recently used list? Or better still be able to apply a different parser while the file is already open e.g. with ctrl-F5
In other words, any situation when a file is (re)opened, not just drag-and-drop

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks for the feedback Colin - I think that's a great idea.  I will take a look and see what I can do.  If this is a small change, we may be able to get it into the next release.

Thanks again,

Toby
Colin Foster
Colin Foster
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
And while I think about it, if I override the default parser I would expect LVP to remember that and use my selected parser the next time without asking or without me having to specify it every time.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...