Highlight log files with overlapping timestamp of selected log file

Author
DeAlchemist
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I downloaded a trial version for evaluating the features available in LogViewPlus, it is a great product which I have been looking for.

However, I would like to see some improvement to the following items especially item (3) which I think it is an essential feature for finding related events from multiple log files.

It would be great if
1) we can view the category name at the row indicator besides log file color color. This will help to group log files by category.
2) we can trigger filter by selecting the row indicator especially in merged log view.
3) the tool will highlight those log files with overlapping timestamp of selected log file or log file in view. This feature allows us to find sequential events from different log files easily and merge them for viewing.
4) Pre processing for specific log or macro as log may require some form of transformation or clean up.

Edited 2 Years Ago by DeAlchemist
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Thanks for the feedback.

> 1) we can view the category name

To filter by category, we would need to add a new column which you could then search for using the Text Filter.  This is something we could look into for the next release.

> 2) we can trigger filter by selecting the row indicator

A filter off of the row indicator which allows filtering by log file name should be straightforward.  Again - this is something we can look into.

> 3) the tool will highlight those log files with overlapping timestamp

I am not clear what you are trying to do here, but it doesn't sound like something that would be helpful for a large number of users.  You may want to consider a custom filter or analyzer.

Hope that helps.  Thanks again for the feedback.

Toby

DeAlchemist
DeAlchemist
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Hi,
Thank you for fast response.

3) i try to explain in more details here.
Imagine that we have events with timstamp A and B but these 2 events are stored in 2 separate files. For developer, we would like to view those events in sequence in a merged file in order to understand the overall flows/info but we may face difficulty in locating the source files if there are too many files. By highlighting those files, user can easily locate and merge them then view those events in timestamp order like now. Also, this can avoid merging unnecssary files with older timestamp events (the first timestamp and last timestamp of a file is not overlapping with the timestamp of selected file) and reduce the size of merged file too.

Hope this clearer.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
> we may face difficulty in locating the source files if there are too many files

Why?  If the events are in order, wouldn't A and B be together or not very far apart?

Also, from a filter on a merge file, you can double-click to find the log entry in the merged file and then double-click again to find it in the source log file.

> By highlighting those files

Based on what?  The row indicator should help with identifying the source log file.

Maybe try and configure a Rule to see if that helps you?

I just noticed your 4th point above.  This can be done by configuring an Open Action.

Hope that helps,

Toby
DeAlchemist
DeAlchemist
>> Why? If the events are in order, wouldn't A and B be together or not very far apart?

Yes, events will be in order in one file. But not all events will be stored in one file. Developer will choose to log different events in different files for distinguishing the types of log. For example, app and driver modules will store their logs in 2 separate files but we need to merge the events from 2 modules in order to understand the actual flows.

>> Based on what?  The row indicator should help with identifying the source log file.
I just updated this info in previous post. It is based on the first timestamp and last timestamp of file. If overlapping, then we know both files are relevant.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks for the clarification.  I think the use case is clear, but I am still not sure where LogViewPlus is not meeting your expectation. 

All log entries in a merge file are sorted by date.  For any given log entry in a merge file the only log entries before or after it should be "where the files overlap" or where the next log file begins / previous ended.  

In other words, the purpose of a merge file is to make it appear as though all logs are stored in, or were written to one file.

It sounds like you have loaded a lot of data into the merge file and then you want to focus down on a particular time range.  A date filter should help with this.  There are lots of ways to create a date filter.
Edited 2 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
DeAlchemist
DeAlchemist
Back to simple question.
You have event with timestamp A in file X and you know that there will be an event of timestamp A+0.1sec in other file Y, may i ask how do you locate the file to merge with file X. Of course, you can use search if you know the timestamp but isn't it a bonus if user will know the files without searching?
Thanks.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Ah!  I got it now - thanks.  :-)

There is no automated way to "find log files with entries near this one" without merging.  I would suggest merging all files and then filtering down on the relevant time range to ignore the unnecessary data. 

Alternatively, f you had some kind of ID which identified the flow, you could try a global search (Search All Logs).
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...